Monday, March 18, 2013

My First Thrifty Remake

I haven't been thrifting for very long (OK, maybe just a few weeks) and to be quite honest before I started using Pinterest I thought that all Goodwill stores just sold clothes and old junky stuff.  I was so incredibly and delightfully wrong!

Last week I was on spring break from school, and with Tyler at work, I decided I'd go around to a few thrift stores in the area to see what I could find to remake.  After just the first shop (A local place that supports mission work called Thrift Nation) I was already hooked.  There was so much stuff that I could get for way cheaper than it would cost at a normal store, and there was even more stuff that I could repurpose the way I had seen on Pinterest! Fantastic!

So, I went to a few stores and bought a couple things, not spending any more than $15 in total.  One thing that I bought, with a specific Pinterest project in mind, was a plain glass flower vase. 

In my mind, I could only see the photo below, which was originally pinned from Sugar and Charm.

So, I bought the vase ($0.50) with that in mind, as well as some Martha Steward Glitter Paint in Antique Silver ($3 or so at Michael's) and I went home and went to work.

Overall, this was a pretty easy project, although it was a little frustrating.  I tried using a brush like in the original pin, but the paint wasn't going on very evenly.  So, instead I just poured a bunch of it in and started twisting the vase around until the entire thing was covered.  This gave it a more even coat and then I poured out the extra paint that was left in the bottom.

According to the bottle of paint, it would take 21 days before I could put flowers in the vase, and I'm not a very patient person.  So, instead I just decided to bake the vase in the oven at about 300 degrees for about 30 minutes (be sure to check the manufacturer's specifications before doing this, not all paints can be cured this way!) and then let it sit overnight to cool.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well it all turned out.  At first when the paint went on the glitter wasn't showing very well, and I was a little upset that it just looked more silvery than glittery.  But once the paint cured...it looks like a disco ball!  Pair it up with some bright colored gerbra daisy's from Michael's and I have my newest table centerpiece!



Beautiful, bright, and cheery!


The color turned out perfectly, I love it!

I'm so excited about the way it turned out and I can't wait to use it throughout the seasons to display other beautiful flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment